23/07/2002

I've now started my first video project in six years. If I can get round to putting it online, my Lust movie was the first time I had ever used a video editing package. In 1996, Adobe Premier had just squeezed beyond version two or three, and technology like that used today was far too expensive. Now, in 2002, the software and hardware have changed immensely.

Using Premier 6, I've been asked to re-build a project which was wiped out by a hard disc crash earlier in the year. All that remains is one MPEG file of the film's first cut. The film, incidentally is a corporate video of a petrochemical company on the east coast of Malaysia.

I must now sift through twenty or so DV tapes (at 65 minutes each) and capture each one to AVI format. Then I go through them all, find the missing pieces, and stitch the movie back together. I do have some artistic freedom - I don't need to follow the first cut frame for frame. Besides, 20 hours of footage to convert, edit and finalise before Friday is too tall an order... maybe.

As of now, I've made good progress. Let's see how the rest of the week holds...
Post a Comment