Skip to main content

sscott.info

Having hosted with UK service provider Easyspace since 1999, I've taken steps to move my webspace over to a Malaysian hosting provider, Hive Hosting. Despite a minor teething problem with the account setup, which was resolved relatively quickly, the service has been excellent.

Since the value of sterling has gone up, it's become more and more difficult (and stupid) to pay such fees from this part of the world, in comparison, local hosting options are cheaper, yet offer much more value for money. I get a free domain thrown in as well, so I've opted for sscott.info, a more descriptive name for the site, than sassquad. People dont realise that it's pronounced as SAS Squad, they pronounce it instead like the scientific name for Bigfoot ("sassquatch").

As for that domain name, efforts to move it over to Malaysia have been stumped by Easyspace's policy of charging 45 pounds to allow domain transfers. This is otherwise known as taking the p*ss. Guess that's the thanks you get for six years service right? So I can either keep my domain there; pay the fee and transfer it; or let the domain go into the internet ether and hope someone else doesnt grab it. Hmm... tough choice eh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polymer Picker, and why 8-bit programming matters to me

Late last year, I released a BBC Micro game, Polymer Picker . Realising that 2022 marked the centenary of the BBC, as well as the 40th anniversary of the release of the BBC computer (which was designated as one of the BBC's 100 Objects ), I wanted to work on something that related to the BBC's mission of being able to 'educate, inform and entertain' . So what better way than to release a game for the BBC computer, that in a sense, fulfils those values? But, with video games being so widely available, and playable on all kinds of devices, why did I decide to create my own game for such a niche platform?  Video games are big business. They have been for a number of years. In May 2023, it was reported that Nintendo's latest edition of The Legend of Zelda sold in excess of 10 million copies in three days .  However, there remains sustained interest in video games from yesteryear. Children who grew up in the 8-bit computer revolution are now into their 40s and 50s, and

Using Beebasm for BBC Basic games programming (Mac & Windows)

In August 2021, I released Androidz Redux , a remastered version of my 1994 game Androidz . This process started a year ago, with a couple of days spent playing around with the original code, far away from a real BBC computer. The original game was published in a magazine called Acorn Computing, and has been available to play online for a number of years now. Because I wrote the game on an actual BBC Micro, I used what tools I had at the time, namely some graph paper to create the graphics, and the computer itself to do the actual coding. This is a world away from the tools we now have at our disposal. Fully rounded IDE's such as Visual Studio Code (my current favourite) make it an awful lot easier to program games. Even editors such as Notepad++ offers some ability to edit BBC Basic code. One of the difficulties with editing old games on modern systems is ensuring that you are able to ensure that the BASIC code is properly tokenised before running on an emulator/system, and indee

Rough guide to building UK election maps for D3.js

During my time at CITY A.M. I helped to build an interactive British General Election Map . This blog outlines how I created it. Let's see the map then Here's a simplified version of the map, hosted at Codepen. See the Pen D3 Election Map by Stephen Scott ( @sassquad ) on CodePen . Here, the map looks rather small, as it has been resized to fit the page. You can use your mouse wheel (or double-click/double-tap) to zoom in or out of the map, and click constituencies to view more detailed results on the left hand side. Each constituency is coloured according to party livery. This blog post gives a very general guide as to how that map was created. I'll be adding further detail about the creation of the map in subsequent posts. Acknowledgements This project was the work of several people, in addition to myself. Here are the other former colleagues who collectively made the election map possible: Michael King (back end programming of data capture system) Bill