Skip to main content
I've spent the past few days trying to tackle what turned out to be a really nasty CD-ROM/Intranet based project, involving Shockwave and Quicktime movies. The brief was simple - take this Director movie, and reduce it to a slightly smaller screen size, and also incorporate these MPEG movies.

I finally got it to work properly today, and it marks my first working Director based project since 1998's Jaw Wars. It wasn't all my project though, it was passed down to me by the boss from a former employee. The work was a mess, but that was just the beginning. You see, along the way, I made various discoveries about Shockwave and the MPEG format. In short, the two do not mix.

Usually, Director movies and MPEG files are incorporated using an Xtra (add-on software for Director to perform extra tasks, MPEG format is unsupported natively in the Director environment). The Xtra I used was called DirectMedia.

I soon discovered that there is no Shockwave equivalent of DirectMedia, meaning that MPEG was dead in the water. So I spent many long hours converting 16 movies into Quicktime format, as Shockwave does possess support. Not nice, when the original files are over 10mb each. Even when that was over, I had to pass the new movies through Terran's Media Cleaner to downgrade them further, as the files were now twice the size they were in MPEG format.

Oh, how to cut this short? Well, I got there in the end, but not without going through the linking of the Quicktime movies to the Shockwave movie itself. The end product only worked on my machine, nobody elses. I thought it was down to the CD-ROM drive letter being different on other machines, breaking the links whenever you got to a page in the Shockwave movie that displayed a Quicktime. So I tried using the Lingo command 'searchPaths' to find out the CD-ROM drive letter. Still didn't work.

Nope, it wasn't that. The problem was because of Shockwave's security features, namely its inability to poke around your machine for potentially sensitive information. This meant that, as my burned CD stood, the QT movies were unlinkable. I thought I was stuck good and proper.

The solution, buried deep within Macromedia's support website, was to move all the content within a folder called 'dswmedia'. This allows filing operations to be performed within this special folder, so that at last, my movies played in the Shockwave file. It's been one hell of a learning process, but I got there in the end.

No rest for the wicked... I have another project to work on, and the clients are coming in tomorrow for a progress report...


Popular posts from this blog

Polymer Picker, and why 8-bit programming matters to me

Late last year, I released a BBC Micro game, Polymer Picker . Realising that 2022 marked the centenary of the BBC, as well as the 40th anniversary of the release of the BBC computer (which was designated as one of the BBC's 100 Objects ), I wanted to work on something that related to the BBC's mission of being able to 'educate, inform and entertain' . So what better way than to release a game for the BBC computer, that in a sense, fulfils those values? But, with video games being so widely available, and playable on all kinds of devices, why did I decide to create my own game for such a niche platform?  Video games are big business. They have been for a number of years. In May 2023, it was reported that Nintendo's latest edition of The Legend of Zelda sold in excess of 10 million copies in three days .  However, there remains sustained interest in video games from yesteryear. Children who grew up in the 8-bit computer revolution are now into their 40s and 50s, and

Using Beebasm for BBC Basic games programming (Mac & Windows)

In August 2021, I released Androidz Redux , a remastered version of my 1994 game Androidz . This process started a year ago, with a couple of days spent playing around with the original code, far away from a real BBC computer. The original game was published in a magazine called Acorn Computing, and has been available to play online for a number of years now. Because I wrote the game on an actual BBC Micro, I used what tools I had at the time, namely some graph paper to create the graphics, and the computer itself to do the actual coding. This is a world away from the tools we now have at our disposal. Fully rounded IDE's such as Visual Studio Code (my current favourite) make it an awful lot easier to program games. Even editors such as Notepad++ offers some ability to edit BBC Basic code. One of the difficulties with editing old games on modern systems is ensuring that you are able to ensure that the BASIC code is properly tokenised before running on an emulator/system, and indee

Rough guide to building UK election maps for D3.js

During my time at CITY A.M. I helped to build an interactive British General Election Map . This blog outlines how I created it. Let's see the map then Here's a simplified version of the map, hosted at Codepen. See the Pen D3 Election Map by Stephen Scott ( @sassquad ) on CodePen . Here, the map looks rather small, as it has been resized to fit the page. You can use your mouse wheel (or double-click/double-tap) to zoom in or out of the map, and click constituencies to view more detailed results on the left hand side. Each constituency is coloured according to party livery. This blog post gives a very general guide as to how that map was created. I'll be adding further detail about the creation of the map in subsequent posts. Acknowledgements This project was the work of several people, in addition to myself. Here are the other former colleagues who collectively made the election map possible: Michael King (back end programming of data capture system) Bill